Machakos Governor Dr. Alfred Mutua has ordered the closure of a steel mill company in Syokimau after a feature ran on Citizen TV exposing air pollution by the said company. In a press statement available to newsrooms, Governor Mutua indicated that he has suspended operations at the mills company until they adhere to a set of instructions including:
- Adherence to set guidelines on clean production processes.
- Setting up protocols on Occupational Health and Safety Standards.
- Meeting requirements by NEMA on air quality standards.
- Provision of adequate sanitation and hand washing facilities.
- Provision of masks for employees
- Adherence to government regulations on Covid-19.
- Other issues that may arise from inspections.
The expose shed light into the living conditions of the residents near the factory, prompting action by the County Government of Machakos. ”After complaints by members of the public, I dispatched my Minister in charge of Environment on June 26th 2020, to inspect Endmor Steels and the complaints of pollution”, read part of the statement from the Office of the Governor.
NOTICE OF IMMEDIATE CLOSURE OF ENDMOR STEEL MILLS DUE TO POLLUTION. pic.twitter.com/xDwDWNrb0d
— Dr. Alfred Mutua (@DrAlfredMutua) July 13, 2020